True Believer Jiu Jitsu recently partnered with Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Pittsburgh to share in the gift of friendship and spread positivity through the sport of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The event took place at True Believer Jiu Jitsu in Lawrenceville, where a group of 19 mentors and mentees from Big Brothers Big Sisters came together with volunteers from True Believer to learn about the martial art.
The Big Brothers Big Sisters organization seeks to “provide children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported, one-to-one relationships that change their lives for the better, forever.” The volunteers at True Believer had the opportunity to take part in that mission, while sharing life lessons from Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Mentors and mentees also took turns learning self-defense techniques in a safe and welcoming environment.
The benefits of the Big Brothers Big Sisters program are meaningful and real. According to the organization, mentees involved in the program for one year show improvements in the following areas:
66% reported higher feelings of social support.
86% reported disapproval of risky behaviors.
87% reported high educational expectations.
And 57% earned above average grades.
The event was coordinated by Randy Mardayat, a member of True Believer Jiu Jitsu and longtime mentor for the BBBS program — and his fellow volunteers from True Believer were proud to support such a great cause.
Be sure to follow the Pittsburgh chapter of Big Brothers Big Sisters, and keep an eye out for opportunities to get involved.
- Mar 11, 2019 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Competes at the IBJJF Cincinnati International Open 2019 Mar 11, 2019
- Mar 4, 2019 Big Brothers Big Sisters Visits True Believer Jiu Jitsu Mar 4, 2019
- Feb 18, 2019 Sinistro Brings the Fire to True Believer Jiu Jitsu Feb 18, 2019
- Jan 30, 2019 Broken to Barbell Hosts Jacob Miclot of True Believer Jiu Jitsu Jan 30, 2019
- Jan 21, 2019 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Celebrates Four Years Jan 21, 2019
- Jan 18, 2019 Jared Weiner of BJJ United Visits True Believer Jiu Jitsu Jan 18, 2019
- Dec 21, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Presents: Abraham Marte Dec 21, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Workshop with Max Gimenis Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Pati Fontes Hosts No-Gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Seminar at True Believer Oct 10, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Make It Inevitable: Lessons from Jacob Miclot’s Path to Black Belt Jan 19, 2018