The week of February 4, 2019, Francisco “Sinistro” Iturralde came to Pittsburgh to host the Connection Camp, a three-day seminar comprising multiple two-hour sessions per day. The students of True Believer Jiu Jitsu truly seized the opportunity to learn from a special talent — with some students recording more than 12 hours of training with Sinistro over the three days.
In Portuguese, the word “Sinistro” literally translates to sinister, but Francisco earned the nickname through Brazilian slang, which uses the word “to describe something out of the ordinary,” according to BJJ Heroes. One of the first big names in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu to emerge from Ecuador, Sinistro formerly trained with Alliance Jiu Jitsu before opting to train independently out of San Diego, California. He earned the nickname during his meteoric rise as a teenager when he won two of his world titles. Over the years, his brand of grappling has become synonymous with a dynamic and submission-centric approach to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
Much like Sinistro, the Connection Camp at True Believer Jiu Jitsu was something out of the ordinary. Throughout the seminar, students learned practical progressions starting from a knee slice, transitioning to more advantageous positions through pressure passes — in addition to executing various lapel chokes from side control and the mount. On the third day of the seminar, students trained without the traditional kimono, drilling techniques from the same progression in the no-gi format and finishing with variations of the anaconda choke.
Each of the six sessions was followed by 10 hard-fought rounds, where students worked to apply the newly learned techniques. Outside of the seminar, Sinistro also instructed during regularly scheduled classes and held private instruction with students.
True Believer Jiu Jitsu consistently strives to bring top competitive talent from across the sport of Jiu Jitsu to Pittsburgh — spanning different nationalities, backgrounds and grappling styles.
Check out the video from the event below, and be sure to follow Sinistro.
- Jun 18, 2019 True Believer Co-Hosts the Pittsburgh Jiu Jitsu Classic Jun 18, 2019
- May 19, 2019 Master Julio Cesar Pereira of GFTeam Shares Knowledge in Columbus May 19, 2019
- May 2, 2019 April Competition Recap May 2, 2019
- Apr 10, 2019 True Believer Tribe Competes in Washington, D.C. Apr 10, 2019
- Apr 2, 2019 Pati Fontes Sets Her Hooks at True Believer Jiu Jitsu Apr 2, 2019
- Mar 11, 2019 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Competes at the IBJJF Cincinnati International Open 2019 Mar 11, 2019
- Mar 4, 2019 Big Brothers Big Sisters Visits True Believer Jiu Jitsu Mar 4, 2019
- Feb 18, 2019 Sinistro Brings the Fire to True Believer Jiu Jitsu Feb 18, 2019
- Jan 30, 2019 Broken to Barbell Hosts Jacob Miclot of True Believer Jiu Jitsu Jan 30, 2019
- Jan 21, 2019 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Celebrates Four Years Jan 21, 2019
- Jan 18, 2019 Jared Weiner of BJJ United Visits True Believer Jiu Jitsu Jan 18, 2019
- Dec 21, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Presents: Abraham Marte Dec 21, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Workshop with Max Gimenis Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Pati Fontes Hosts No-Gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Seminar at True Believer Oct 10, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Make It Inevitable: Lessons from Jacob Miclot’s Path to Black Belt Jan 19, 2018