The True Believer Tribe celebrated a momentous four years of open minds, strong hearts and hard rounds on January 20, 2019.
The celebration was hosted by True Believer’s own Lou Ickes, who, along with his wife Janessa, owns the Brillobox, an awesome restaurant and bar located on Penn Avenue in Bloomfield. The relaxed lounge just so happens to be one of Pittsburgh’s top ten best music venues as well — and the stage was put to the test by the True Believer Tribe all night during karaoke, sponsored by Backstage Guitars in Lawrenceville.
The Brillobox graciously provided food and beverage specials all night, while students, professors, and their friends and families celebrated a year packed with hard training, competitions, top-level seminars and good times. In 2018 alone, True Believer hosted a bevy of world-class competitors, such as Abraham Marte, Pati Fontes, and a crew of black belts from GFTeam Toledo, including Max Gimenis, Mauricio Oliveira and Gutemberg Pereira.
In a previous interview, Lou told Made in PGH, “We don’t do anything but pour the beer you ask for and give you the burger you want. It’s the people that come here, the people that have events here, they’re Brillobox man, not me. It’s not what we’re doing, it’s what the people that come here are doing that is important. We just give them a home for it.”
This time around, Lou provided a home for his crew at True Believer — and it was epic. Check the pictures below for proof.
- Feb 18, 2019 Sinistro Brings the Fire to True Believer Jiu Jitsu Feb 18, 2019
- Jan 21, 2019 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Celebrates Four Years Jan 21, 2019
- Jan 18, 2019 Jared Weiner of BJJ United Visits True Believer Jiu Jitsu Jan 18, 2019
- Dec 21, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Presents: Abraham Marte Dec 21, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Workshop with Max Gimenis Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Pati Fontes Hosts No-Gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Seminar at True Believer Oct 10, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Make It Inevitable: Lessons from Jacob Miclot’s Path to Black Belt Jan 19, 2018