Make your goals inevitable, act with character, and share your passion. Those were the fundamental lessons that Jacob Miclot shared with his students when he accepted his black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu — an accomplishment nine years in the making.
Miclot began practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in the summer of 2009. Since then, he has relentlessly worked to compete at the highest levels — consistently participating in competitions run by the International Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Federation (IBJJF). Miclot realized his passion for teaching after earning his brown belt in 2014, and he opened True Believer Brazilian Jiu Jitsu in February of 2015.
Miclot received his black belt from Gutemberg Pereira on behalf of Júlio César Pereira in January of 2018, under the Grappling Fight Team (GFTeam) mantle. As with anyone who achieves the rank of black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Miclot had valuable insights to share from his journey.
Inevitability, or the predetermination that something is bound to happen, was the cornerstone of Miclot’s mentality as he worked toward his black belt. “If you just set in your head that something is inevitable, and just accept the process, the rest just happens,” he explained.
After earning his purple belt, Miclot set in his mind that earning his black belt was an inevitability, so long as he made the right choices. He committed himself to the sport of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, forging his path through the mindset of inevitability.
With his newly donned black belt, he told his students to do the same. “That’s what you need to do today. If you really like [Brazilian Jiu Jitsu], just put it in your head as an inevitability today. I’m going to show up. I’m going to get better. I’m going to do whatever I can because it’s inevitable.”
Act with Character
For Miclot, acting with character and making the right choices along the way stemmed from setting his goal as inevitable. “And then that allows you to act with character. And I think that’s the most important thing. We do Jiu Jitsu to see what can make us better — not to be bullies, not to be tough,” he told his students. “I’m going to reach whatever goal I want to reach, but I’m going to do it going to sleep at night. I’m not going to screw people over. I’m not going to hurt people’s feelings. Do it right and make it inevitable.”
Share Your Passion
The final lesson Miclot shared was the importance of sharing your passion — whatever it is. “You guys have different passions. For some of you it’s Jiu Jitsu. For some it’s photography. For some, it’s your job. But if you share that passion with people in a positive way, they’re going to help you. They’re going to push you forward.”
Since opening True Believer Jiu Jitsu in 2015, Miclot has strived to create an inclusive and competitive culture, where people of all ages, interests and athletic ability can reach their goals through Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. The lessons he shared after earning his black belt echo the mission of the gym.
“Whatever your passion is in your life, share it, please,” Miclot emphasized. “If we got together more often and just shared our passions and the things we like — the things we want other people to do well at — everything’s going to go better.”
You can watch the full video below.
- Jul 26, 2019 July Competition Recap Jul 26, 2019
- Jun 18, 2019 True Believer Co-Hosts the Pittsburgh Jiu Jitsu Classic Jun 18, 2019
- May 19, 2019 Master Julio Cesar Pereira of GFTeam Shares Knowledge in Columbus May 19, 2019
- May 2, 2019 April Competition Recap May 2, 2019
- Apr 10, 2019 True Believer Tribe Competes in Washington, D.C. Apr 10, 2019
- Apr 2, 2019 Pati Fontes Sets Her Hooks at True Believer Jiu Jitsu Apr 2, 2019
- Mar 11, 2019 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Competes at the IBJJF Cincinnati International Open 2019 Mar 11, 2019
- Mar 4, 2019 Big Brothers Big Sisters Visits True Believer Jiu Jitsu Mar 4, 2019
- Feb 18, 2019 Sinistro Brings the Fire to True Believer Jiu Jitsu Feb 18, 2019
- Jan 30, 2019 Broken to Barbell Hosts Jacob Miclot of True Believer Jiu Jitsu Jan 30, 2019
- Jan 21, 2019 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Celebrates Four Years Jan 21, 2019
- Jan 18, 2019 Jared Weiner of BJJ United Visits True Believer Jiu Jitsu Jan 18, 2019
- Dec 21, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Presents: Abraham Marte Dec 21, 2018
- Oct 26, 2018 True Believer Jiu Jitsu Workshop with Max Gimenis Oct 26, 2018
- Oct 10, 2018 Pati Fontes Hosts No-Gi Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Seminar at True Believer Oct 10, 2018
- Jan 19, 2018 Make It Inevitable: Lessons from Jacob Miclot’s Path to Black Belt Jan 19, 2018